Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My letter to Kay Hagan

I felt the letter I just spent my lunch hour writing to Kay Hagan, Democrat who represents me in NC, was worth sharing with more than just her office staff.  (I added the hyperlinks as references which were not included in the original note). Thanks for reading... and please send a note to your Senators in support of S 1467 and Congressional rep in support of HR 1179. See www.usccb.org/conscience for more info.

***

Dear Ms. Hagan,

I wrote you a short note when I missed you on Monday, January 24 during the annual March for Life. I returned home saddened from the sight of so many pro-life activists who come in defense of women and the unborn, yet this message we brought on behalf of the voiceless unborn was left unheard by many in our government and media.

Today, I am writing to tell you of my grave concern regarding the HHS mandate for contraceptive coverage. Indeed it is not just religious employers who are affected, but all employers whose personal and/or religious convictions likewise prevent them from providing contraceptive services and abortifacients in their health coverage.

Please support S 1467.

As a public servant, your duty is primarily to the "poorest of the poor" (as Mother Teresa was known to say), the most defenseless among us, and these are quite literally those yet to be born. Whether these unborn are zygotes, embryos, or fetuses, they deserve the protection allotted to them in our Country's Founding Document: "That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

It may seem a far stretch to say that contraception is somehow connected to the abortion problem; after all, contraceptives are meant to prevent pregnancies and therefore the need for abortion.

However, in reality, that is not the case. In Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1994, the US Supreme Court stated, "[F]or two decades of economic and social developments, have organized intimate relationships and made choices that define their views of themselves and their places in society, in reliance on the availability of abortion in the event that contraception should fail" [505 U.S. 833, 835].

Indeed, the latest numbers from the Guttmacher Institute state that, "Fifty-four percent of women who have abortions had used a contraceptive method (usually the condom or the pill) during the month they became pregnant."  That means that 54% of women are getting abortions because they WERE using contraceptives.

You see, contraceptives provide an often times false-hope that pregnancy will not occur. When it does, however, the child is not wanted and is aborted. This is why the Catholic Church and other individuals are opposed to contraceptive use: because its mentality leads to instances of abortion.

Motherhood does not strip a woman of her rights to participate in the fabric of our culture and society. (as Planned Parenthood v. Casey so brazenly goes on to state.) Indeed, this is part of the very fiber of our femininity. And on the contrary, the unborn boys and girls who will never see daylight do not get the opportunity to participate in our society, and women themselves who abort often experience unexpected emotional and physical side effects.

Ms. Hagan, please know of my prayers for you that you will use your strong leadership abilities in defense of religious freedom, rights of conscience, and the rights of the unborn.

Thank you for your time and your service to our Country.

Sincerely,
Mary Worthington

2 comments:

  1. Why do you hate women so much?
    You do realize there are alot of women who would ( and im being very serious If I got pregnant IT WOULD DESTROY my marraige . I do not want kids I am having a wonderful time enjoying my life with out having a child. From what im gathering from reading all of your posts is that marraiges are destroyed because men and women are to procreate . well in that sense I am now going to divorce my husband because I dont want children .... Does that make sense to you ? Because thats exactly what your saying sex is for procreation and thats why people get married. NO we love eachother thats why we got married and id rather stop having sex then go with out birthcontrol so I dont have to take care of a baby or get fat or have my boobs hurt be hormoanal and all of the other horrible things that come with pregnancy then theres vomit diapers feeding bathing changing no Im pretty stuck to the fact id kill myself before i had my own child . yes you can call me that selfish but id rather have a wonderful marraige then have to be a parent .
    So again why do you hate me so much that you wouldnt let me and my husband have sex in our happy marraige ? cause if theres a chance ill have to have a kid ill buy a toy and some batteries and never have sex with my husband again thus destroying our marraige because I DO NOT WANT A CHILD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angiey, Thanks for your honest reply. Indeed, children do not equal a happy marriage, however the procreation of children is what naturally follows from the happiness of marital life together. I don't agree with everything social scientist from California Stephanie Coontz, but I certainly find this post to be telling:
    http://www.stephaniecoontz.com/articles/article21.htm

    ReplyDelete