Friday, May 4, 2012

Why the screen in a confessional

For many years, I have felt more comfortable confessing behind the screen than in person. When I explained confession to my goddaughter the day before her first Holy Communion-- when I took her to confession-- I said that, "It helps us to realize that we are confessing to Jesus when we are not distracted by looking at the priest." She liked that.

This morning, the daily maxim by St. Philip Neri admonished confessors to encourage the use of the screen especially to women and girls for a different reason:
Confessors should use the confessional with its screen for hearing confessions of girls and young women because it is easier for them to divulge all their sins and not to conceal any of them out of shame if they do not have to look the confessor in the face

No comments:

Post a Comment