Thursday, September 13, 2012

I read the Bible

A few mornings ago, I had an hour just to sit and relax. I picked up my Bible and flipped to the beginning of Malachi. Malachi tells the prophesy wherein the Lord condemns sin and urges His beloved Israel to return to Him. Of course, they have a 1,000 excuses not to.
For I, the LORD, do not change,
and you, sons of Jacob, do not cease to be.
Since the days of your ancestors you have turned aside
from my statutes and have not kept them.
Return to me, that I may return to you,
says the LORD of hosts.
Malachi 3:6-7 
Amazingly, I read the entire short book in one sitting. It made me think of lots of things. Completing that book brought me up to First Maccabees. I tucked my bookmarks in.

But, I want to rewind my story just a wee bit.

About five years ago, I picked up my Bible, and beginning with Genesis, I was determined to read it in its entirety. Throughout his life, my dad has read the Bible many times. I thought this is something I should do too.

Somewhere about half way through the Old Testament, I went to live in a monastery with the Poor Clare Nuns, and they had me start in Matthew to read the entire New Testament. This time, I read the Navarre Study Bible which contains enriching Biblical commentary and historical details.

For those months, I hardly read the Old Testament, but rather I completed Matthew through Revelation-- the entire New Testament.

For Christmas while I was in the monastery, I received a new Ignatius Bible, the Revised Standard- Catholic Edition (RSV-CE). I took my bookmarks out of the old Bible, New American (NAB) translation, and stuck it in the new Bible. But, busy with the Navarre Bible, I didn't get much reading done until I moved back into the "real world."


Upon completing the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which I also began in the Monastery, I picked up my new, red Bible and began to read again.

And today, I realized I've read the whole Bible!  In the NAB translation, Maccabees comes just after Esther, but in the Ignatius Bible, it's after Malachi! My bookmarks betrayed me and almost made me miss this milestone of my life!

It's nice to finish a good read!

If your Bible doesn't contain Maccabees or other "Apocryphal" books, you can buy a new Bible by stopping at the Poor Clare nuns' gift shop in Charlotte. Open until 6pm Monday through Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment